With its flaky crust and hearty chicken and veggies coated in savory gravy, Chicken Pot Pie is a comfort classic through and through. But sometimes you just want that tasty comfort quickly. We’ve taken all the classic flavors of the beloved pot pie and made it into one amazing soup, so you can have a bowl full of comfort on your table in just over a half-hour.
In this soup, the noodles take the place of the pie crust and they add a nice chewy bite. Tender chicken and all the usual pot pie veggies swim in a creamy and savory broth that’s topped with a little fresh parsley. We can never get enough of those sweet pops of corn kernels and peas. Their little bursts of sweetness against the rest of the savory stuff are just so delicious.
We love dinners that are quick and easy that make great leftovers (well, as long as they’re also delicious), and this soup checks all those boxes. It’s easy to get stuck in a recipe rut from time to time but soup is a nice way to change things up. You can serve it with some crusty bread, or even a simple side salad, but we tend to make a meal out of this soup all by itself. After all it’s got everything you need: some protein, some comforting carbs, a pretty sizeable portion of flavorful veggies, and a whole lot of classic flavor.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Serves 6; 40 minutes
- 2 cups dry egg noodles
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 (14.5 oz.) boxes low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sodium-free seasoning blend
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook egg noodles according to packaging directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in a large stock pot over medium-high heat and sauté onion, celery and carrot until tender. 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant, then sprinkle flour evenly over mixture and cook, stirring frequently, for another 1-2 minutes.
- While continuing to stir, pour in chicken broth, bay leaves, seasoning blend and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in milk and cream, then add in shredded chicken, corn, peas and egg noodles. Cook for another 12-15 minutes, adjusting seasoning as necessary.
- Transfer soup to serving bowls and top with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Adapted from Little Spice Jar.