Banana bread reminds me of visiting grandma and helping her in the kitchen. I can almost smell the sweet bread now and taste the warm spiced bread with a hint of that banana goodness. I didn’t think grandma’s tried and true recipe could be beat, but this cheesecake version… well, it takes the cake. (Please don’t tell my grandma I said that). Let’s take a look at how to make this fun twist on a classic recipe!
The first step is to mash 3 bananas in a bowl. You can use a potato masher if you have one, but a fork will work just fine, you just might have to put a little more elbow grease into it.
Set the mashed bananas aside and mix your dry ingredients together for the banana bread and then the wet ingredients, separately. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, just like you would for most baking recipes. Now, here’s the fun part. The cheesecake filling consists of cream cheese, flour, and sugar. That’s it! Add half of the banana bread batter into the prepared pan, then spread out the cheesecake mixture. Pour the second half of the batter over the cheesecake, and pop it in the oven for one hour.
Truly, this is a treat for everyone! Friends and family will be surprised when they cut into the normal-looking banana bread loaf and find a delicious, creamy cheesecake center! Go ahead and try out this recipe if you’re in the mood for an extra-special treat.
Cheesecake Banana Bread
Serves 6; 15 minutes active; 1 hour inactive
- Banana bread batter:
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, plus one egg yolk; divided
- Cheesecake filling:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9x5in bread loaf pan.
- Mash bananas up in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar, butter, buttermilk, vanilla, one egg plus one egg yolk. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then fold in mashed bananas.
- To make the cheesecake filling, mix together the remaining egg, cream cheese, flour, and sugar in a small bowl.
- Pour half of the banana bread batter into the pan, and then place dollops of the cheesecake filling on top, spreading into an even layer. Top with the other half of the banana bread batter and bake for one hour.
- Let cool before slicing and serving!