Cauliflower is one of those veggies that often gets a bad rap. And, if you’ve been served plain steamed cauliflower for years then we could certainly see why. But, baked in the oven with a hearty helping of seasonings and rich buttery bread crumbs, the finished dish is much more delicious than most people give cauliflower credit for.
To make this recipe you’ll need 1 large head of cauliflower, broken up into florets. You want to aim for bite-sized pieces with the size, so don’t make them too big or too small.
You’ll need to bring 1 inch of water to the boil and then steam the florets for 10-12 minutes or until fork tender and then set them aside.
The ingredients that really add a lot of flavor to this recipe are lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, asiago cheese, fresh parsley, and of course salt and pepper. But what really sends this recipe into unforgettable status is the buttered bread crumbs.
To make the buttered crumbs you brown the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Once that’s done you’ll pour 3 tablespoons of the brown butter over the breadcrumbs over the herb/cheese/breadcrumb mixture.
Pour the cauliflower into a deep casserole dish and then pour the remaining butter over the top. Finish by sprinkling the buttered crumb mixture on top. Bake this for 12-15 minutes at 350˚ or until the bread crumbs are just beginning to brown.
The bright flavors of lemon and parsley pair beautifully with the richness of the cheeses and the brown butter crumbs. Try this recipe the next time you’re looking for a yummy vegetable side dish to add to the table: you won’t be disappointed.
Buttered Crumb Cauliflower
10m prep time
30m cook time
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Boil cauliflower in one inch of water for 10-12 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine bread crumbs, cheeses, parsley, salt, pepper. Preheat oven to 350˚.
- In a small saucepan brown butter for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and mix in lemon juice.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of the browned butter into the breadcrumbs.
- Pour cauliflower onto deep baking pan or casserole dish. Pour butter over top and then cover with buttered breadcrumbs. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cauliflower begins to brown on top.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.