Everyone loves a baked potato. Well, maybe not everyone, but it’s certainly very well loved as far as potato dishes go and that’s precisely why you should be serving it in appetizer form too. Baked Potato Slices let you do just that! They transform the beloved baked potato into something much more snackable.
These are so easy to make and you can top them with pretty much whatever you normally love to top your baked potatoes with. Just slice up some russet potatoes about 3/4-inch thick…
… And arrange the slices on a baking sheet after brushing each side with oil. They head into the oven a bit to get a head start on softening up…
… and then you can top them with whatever you’d like. I love a combo of cheddar cheese and bacon with a bit of green onion or chives.
They head into the oven once more so the cheese can melt and then you get to eat your baked potato, but a poppable hand-held version! Sour cream is perfect for dipping here, but some ranch certainly wouldn’t be amiss either.
Baked Potato Slices
10m prep time
40m cook time
- 3 russet potatoes, washed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, minced
- Garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Slice potatoes into 3/4-inch thick slices. Arrange in an even layer on a baking sheet. Brush both sides of each slice with oil. Season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over low heat, turning occasionally. Once crispy, remove to a paper towel lined plate to cool. Once cool, crumble bacon and reserve drippings in pan.
- Remove potatoes from oven and brush both sides of slices with reserved bacon drippings. Return to oven for 10 more minutes.
- Top potatoes with cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon. Return to oven until cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with chives and more garlic salt, and serve with sour cream for dipping. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Cozy Cook.