We were in search of a little something different for our breakfast and fell upon this super delicious breakfast muffin. We love an unexpected twist on a our favorite meals, and muffins offer up a way to do just that! With just 5 ingredients, these breakfast bites offer a quick yet filling option to fuel the morning. Our broccoli and egg mini muffins are not only fun to look at, they’re also a healthier option than the usual blueberry muffin. When we want a few less carbs in our day, this is a great go-to meal, and it’s fancy enough to serve up for a brunch. Protein from the eggs and fiber from the broccoli are a great way to start the morning off right.
Broccoli & Egg Breakfast Bites
20 minutes to prepare Serves 12 muffin cups
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Boil broccoli for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Whisk together eggs, salt and pepper. Pour evenly into each cup in the tray.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly into each cup.
- Top egg and cheddar cheese with a generous spoonful of chopped broccoli. Sprinkle each muffin with a pinch of flaxseed, if using.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until egg is set, allowing for extra cooking time if needed.
- Remove from oven. Rest for 2 minutes before removing from the muffin tin. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Paleo Leap