Get great energy on the go with these protein and veggie packed muffins.
We were in search of a little something different for our breakfast and fell upon these super delicious breakfast “muffins.” They may use a muffin tin, but they’re not loaded down with flour and sugar like the usual breakfast treats… Nope! These are packed with broccoli and protein, and they’re so tasty, they just might be our favorite use of the muffin tin yet.
We love an unexpected twist on one of our favorite meals, and these breakfast bites offer up a way to do just that! With just 5 ingredients, these broccoli and cheese bites offer a quick, yet filling option to fuel the morning. They certainly make good use of the muffin tin; they’re easy to take with you if you’re rushing out the door.
Our broccoli and egg mini muffins are not only fun to look at, they’re also a healthier option than the usual blueberry muffin. When we want a few less carbs in our day, this is a great go-to meal, and it’s fancy enough to serve up for a brunch. Protein from the eggs and fiber from the broccoli are a great way to start the morning off right.
Broccoli & Egg Breakfast Bites
Serves 12 muffin cups; 20 minutes
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Boil broccoli for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Whisk together eggs, salt and pepper. Pour evenly into each cup in the tray.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly into each cup.
- Top egg and cheddar cheese with a generous spoonful of chopped broccoli. Sprinkle each muffin with a pinch of flaxseed, if using.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until egg is set, allowing for extra cooking time if needed.
- Remove from oven. Rest for 2 minutes before removing from the muffin tin. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Paleo Leap