While we love approximately two weeks of the cold, winter wonderland that makes up the colder months, the rest of the time we're counting down the weeks and months until it's hot again and we can spend all our time outside, hanging out with friends and family, enjoying all-day cookouts. Burgers, hot dogs, steak, kebabsyou name it, we love it!
Of all the different dishes though, there's one that is absolutely essential the linchpin if you will for our backyard shindigs, and that is cole slaw. While there are tons of different varieties and spins on this classic, we've shared our favorite with you below. Hope you love it as much as we do!
- 2 (10 oz.) bags shredded cabbage
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1/2 red cabbage, shredded
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Mix cabbages and carrots in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar and lemon juice, until combined.
- Stir in sugar, dry mustard and celery salt, and mix until smooth, then season with salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Pour dressing over cabbage and carrots and toss so that everything is thoroughly coated.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
Recipe adapted from My Recipes