Salads are of course a great healthy food to enjoy, and they are pretty easy to assemble. Combine the ingredients and toss with a dressing. While just about every part of a salad is hand selected, the ingredients in a dressing may not be. Goodness knows there are plenty of unhealthy salad dressings out there. Today we’re going to share a recipe for a homemade salad dressing we love: the ever classic Caesar!
Some recipes outright call for a cup of mayonnaise, but we wanted to avoid that. Instead, we decided to just use raw egg yolks and some oil to emulsify our own right in the dressing. For any classic Caesar dressing, anchovies are a must. Using six fillets added just enough umami flavor without making it too fishy. We know some people might be curious about the nutrition information. Keep reading below for this great recipe…
Classic Caesar Dressing Recipe
(makes 1 1/2 cups dressing)
- 6 anchovy fillets packed in oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- a pinch of kosher salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetableoil
- 3 tablespoons shredded Asiago Cheese
- Chop together the anchovy fillets and kosher salt. Use the side of a knive blade and mash into a paste then scrape into a medium bowl. Whisk in the egg yolks, lemon juice, and dijon mustard.
- Starting drop by drop, gradually whisk in the olive oil then 1/2 cup vegetable oil, whisking until thick and glossy. Whisk in the Asiago cheese, and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Recipe adapted fromNatasha’s Kitchen