As far as I’m concerned, the Molten Lava Cake is the ultimate in chocolate decadence. You get delicious flowing ooey-gooey chocolate and the fudgy bite of cake all at once so there’s just not much more you could hope for. And I have some really good news for you – you don’t have to wait to dine out at a fancy restaurant to enjoy one, you can easily make them right in your own kitchen… in a muffin tin! Our Muffin Tin Molten Lava Cakes require just five ingredients and ten minutes of your time and are perfect for a special night in.
For most of my life, I had only ever had chocolate lava cake in restaurants and it always seemed so fancy to me. But it turns out to be a deceptively simple dessert. In our method here, you use the microwave to melt butter and chocolate together and then stir in some flour, powdered sugar, and salt. Then, it’s just a matter of stirring in some eggs and egg yolks and getting the batter into some greased muffin tins.
The key is in the baking. You want the sides to be set, but the center to be liquidy enough to flow out when you go to take a bite of it. That takes about ten minutes, but they will set up a bit as they sit (and that makes photographing such a luscious dessert difficult!).
These are everything you want an over-the-top chocolate dessert to be. Rich and fudgy but with that spellbinding quality of melted chocolate too, it’s the kind of thing you can’t help but close your eyes when you bite into it. You’d never guess it was this easy to make at home!
Muffin Tin Molten Lava Cakes
10m prep time
10m cook time
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease 6 cups of a muffin tin with butter or nonstick spray.
- In a medium heat-proof bowl, combine chocolate and butter. Microwave in 10 second increments until smooth and melted, stirring in between. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, powdered sugar, and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together eggs and egg yolks.
- Pour the flour mixture and the eggs into the melted chocolate. Gently stir everything together with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Spoon batter evenly into the 6 prepared muffin cups. Bake until sides appear firm but tops are still soft, 8-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 1 minutes, then use a spoon to release each cake and place upside down on a plate. Dust with powdered sugar, serve, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Love and Lemons.