Super light and moist, this scrumptious yogurt berry cake is also awesomely versatile! So much more than just an excellent after-dinner treat, it’s also wonderful paired with coffee at breakfast time and makes a great afternoon snack that’s not so heavy it’ll bog you down.
We chose to experiment with Greek yogurt this time around and found that it not only made an extra fluffy and delectable cake, it also helped prevent the berries from sinking to the bottom of the pan, so they stayed evenly distributed throughout. This cake is honestly addicting, and if you’re at all like us, you’ll want to have some on hand pretty much all the time!
Yogurt Berry Cake
Serves 10-12; 45 minutes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups frozen berries (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries or mixed)
- Preheat oven to 350º F and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan on medium-low heat until it turns a golden brown, keeping an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium bowl whisk together whole wheat flour, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together browned butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy, then add eggs, lemon juice and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- While stirring, slowly add flour mixture into egg mixture. Once combined, mix in yogurt. Using a large spoon, gently fold berries in.
- Pour into greased baking pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy!