Not quite your classic lasagna, but every bit as delicious!
Lasagna has been the perfect comforting casserole to feed a crowd for as long as it has been in existence, what with its layers upon layers of chewy noodles and alternating creamy and ooey-gooey cheese. But it turns out the old tomato-ricotta-mozzarella standby is not the only way to do lasagna. We’ve got a rather different version for you – one that’s just as comforting and crowd-pleasing but happens to be full of cheesy spinach-artichoke flavor.
This is assembled layer by layer like any good lasagna, but the components are a little different from the classic version. You start by browning some canned artichokes with garlic to bring out their flavor and then a portion of those get blended with some ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella in the food processor to form your “sauce.”
That sauce gets layered with some chopped fresh spinach, and more artichokes, mozzarella, and parmesan, so you end up with a layered dish with plenty of texture and flavor. (Think spinach artichoke dip, but in lasagna form.) The ricotta-artichoke mixture ensures that the creamy artichoke flavor coats every noodle, but there are also bites of intact artichoke throughout to back it up.
Not to mention, there’s also spinach and plenty of ooey-gooey cheese. The cheesy spinach-artichoke combo is a dip classic for good reason and I can promise you that it works just as well in this casserole classic!
White Spinach Artichoke Lasagna
- 1 box no-boil lasagna noodles
- 6 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can artichokes, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (15 oz) container ricotta
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Fill a large bowl with hot water, and place noodles in to let them soak and soften slightly, 3-5 minutes.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add artichokes, season with salt and pepper, and cook until golden brown. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the ricotta, basil, 1/2 cup mozzarella, 1/2 cup Parmesan, and 1/4 of the cooked artichoke mixture and process until smooth.
- Spread a small amount of the ricotta mixture in the bottom of the baking dish and top with a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Layer noodles with 1/4 of the remaining ricotta mixture, followed by 1/3 of the artichokes and spinach, and 1/4 of the mozzarella and parmesan. Repeat twice and top final layer of noodles with remaining ricotta mixture and mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes more.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Stay at Home Chef.