Green tea has a lovely flavor that in tea form has a comforting vibe. But, in baked goods the subtle flavors can rise to the top and give standard recipes a real makeover. These white chocolate green tea cookies have the light yet earthy flavor of matcha powder, which blends perfectly with creamy white chocolate chips.
To start this recipe cream together butter and sugar. Then add in one egg. In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients, making sure to sift the matcha powder to remove any lumps.
For this recipe you need to have some matcha powder on hand, which is different to other green teas. This powder isn’t like loose tea leaves. Match powder blends into this dough well, giving the cookies their signature green hue. Since the colors of matcha powder can vary from brand to brand you may find that your cookies aren’t as vibrant of a shade. In that case you can add just a drop of green food coloring if you want that bright color.
Add the dry mixture to the wet in increments and then fold in the white chocolate chips. This type of chocolate add a creaminess and richness to the cookies that’s the perfect counterbalance to the matcha.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour so that these cookies don’t spread too much in the oven. Bake for 10-13 minutes or until golden on the bottom. Let sit for 5 minutes before using a spatula to move the cookies to a wire cooling rack.
Serve these elegant cookies with a tall glass of milk for a unique snack that’s incredibly tasty. We love these green tea cookies.
White Chocolate Green Tea Cookies
Makes 16 cookies
1h 10m prep time
13m cook time
- 1/ 2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Cream together butter and sugar. Sift matcha into mixture and stir until no lumps remain. Add egg and stir again.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in third, stirring between each addition until uniform in color.
- Fold in white chocolate chips and then refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Scoop out dough into 1” ball and place onto greased or lined baking sheet spaced 2” apart.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from The Little Epicurian.