Cheese and wild rice combine with butternut squash, mushrooms, and broccoli to create this family favorite. Top it all of with some breadcrumbs, and viola! Dinner is served.
Who doesn’t love a one-dish meal? This cheesy veggie rice bake has become a staple at our house! It’s easy to make ahead of time and have it ready to go in a flash on those busy weeknights. Everyone needs a few easy meals in their arsenal to throw together last minute, and with two kinds of cheese in this dish, it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and wild rice combine with butternut squash, mushrooms, and broccoli to create this family favorite. Top it all of with some breadcrumbs, and viola! Dinner is served. Double the cheese, double the satisfaction.
Veggie Rice Bake
Serves 6-8 30min
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1/2 lb (1 head) of broccoli, chopped
- 1/2 lb baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 cups wild rice, cooked
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 450 degrees, bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss squash, broccoli, mushrooms, onion, and cheese together with 2 tablespoons olive oil, thyme, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in the cooked rice and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.
- Pour the mixture into a large baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons olive oil and the remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over the baking dish.
- Cover and store in the fridge until ready to bake.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com