Carrot cake is an absolute classic that always puts a smile on our face and gets us thinking about springtime, regardless of the actual season. Because of its smile-inducing powers, we love all things related to this sweet vegetable — so it only seemed natural for us to try our hands at carrot cake cookies!
These cream cheese frosting-filled cookies are seriously delicious. With the same delectable flavor us as the cake, not to mention the creamy frosting that we all know and love, these sweet bites are light and airy and just what we need (and look forward to) to make our day that much more special. No exaggeration here, these cookies hit the spot — make them and see for yourself!
Carrot Cake Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups carrot, grated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F, position oven racks in the top and bottom parts of oven, and lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, then set aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and sugars and until fluffy and lightened in color.
- One at a time, beat in eggs (waiting for the first to be fully incorporated before adding the second) and then add the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until only just combined, then fold in the grated carrot and chopped walnuts.
- Using a spoon or small ice cream scoop, drop batter on to baking sheets, making sure to leave 1-2 inches between each cookie.
- Place trays in oven and bake for 13-15 minutes, or until light brown and springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- In a bowl or mixer, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar together until smooth and creamy, then add in honey and vanilla extract.
- Once cookies are cool, spoon 1 tablespoon cream cheese frosting onto the bottom of one cookie and sandwich it together with the bottom of a second cookie.
- Repeat with remaining cookies and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Epicurious