I swear I didn’t think it could get any better than the sheet cake, but these cookies are insanely good!
For those of you who’ve tried it, you’ll understand when we say that Texas sheet cake is one of our absolute favorite desserts. For those of you who haven’t come across it yet: prepare yourselves. The traditional chocolate cake is über rich and tasty, smothered in an icing that will sweep you off your feet it’s so good. Given our love for this dessert, it’s no wonder we were inspired enough by it to try to replicate its decadently delicious flavor in the form of…cookies!
These Texas sheet cake cookies are unlike any you’ve had before. They’re rich and chocolate-y, while still being light-as-air, and not too heavy to stop you from enjoying a couple. Then there’s the glaze: it perfectly rounds out the Texas sheet cake flavor and takes the cookie to the next level. These things are ridiculously good – you have to try them and see for yourself!
Texas Sheet Cake Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and sugar for 3-4 minutes, or until fluffy and lightened in color.
- Mix in egg, then, once incorporated, add in vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt, then gradually add dry ingredients into the wet.
- Fold in melted chocolate until just combined.
- Using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop, drop small spoonfuls of dough onto lined baking sheets.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake cookies for 9-10 minutes, or until just set on the outside, but still soft inside.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- While cookies are baking, make your icing by mixing butter, milk, cocoa powder and vanilla extract together in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted and smooth, remove saucepan from heat and stir in powdered sugar until smooth.
- Pour icing over cooled cookies and let set. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from OMG Chocolate Desserts