Welcome to your new favorite burger.
It there’s a better, quick dinner than burgers I’d like to hear it. This simple treat always satisfies the whole family. Now you can make a tangy, Tex-Mex version that will really spice up your dinner menu. But, don’t worry, you can add as much or as little heat as you want for the perfect border-style burger.
To start with you’ll need about 10 ounces of sliced, pickled jalapeño peppers. You can use half that for burgers on the milder side. However much you use you’ll want to chop them up finely so they can be mixed with the ground beef easily. Large chunks may mean your burgers fall apart in the pan which is not ideal.
After you flip the burgers add some smoked provolone cheese slices so they can melt before adding the burgers to the buns.
To add some spice a blend of BBQ sauce and mayo makes for a tasty condiment. I find that the “no sugar added” sauces are the tastiest here and make for a more robust flavor.
The last thing that takes this burger over the edge is to make a layer of BBQ potato chips on the bun before adding the burger and toppings. There’s so much crunch in each bite and the flavor is amped up as well.
These aren’t sandwiches for those on a diet, but they are a wonderful treat and a change of pace from the usual burgers.
Makes 4 burgers
15m prep time
10m cook time
- 1 lb ground beef
- 10 oz pickled sliced jalapeños, drained and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 slices smoked provolone cheese
- 4 oz BBQ potato chips
- 4 buns of your choice or 8 slices thick Texas toast
- Combine beef with jalapeños, salt, pepper, chili powder, oregano, and cumin. Shape into 4 equal patties. Heat skillet to medium high heat for 3-5 minutes on each side. After flipping first side add cheese so that it can melt.
- Combine BBQ sauce and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Add a handful of potato chips to each bun. Top with burgers, BBQ sauce, and fixins of your choice. Add top bun to burgers and press lightly to flatten the chips a bit.
Recipe adapted from Rakija Grill.