While we love rich, chocolate-y desserts, there’s something super refreshing and delightful about key lime pie that we absolutely love! So for times when you want that perfect zesty sweetness in a dessert that’s filling, but still light, this key lime pie is for you!
One thing to note: while it may be called “key lime” pie (and using key limes do make it fantastic), feel free to use whatever limes you can get your hands onit will still be delicious! Another thing is that this pie is seriously easy to make. Using a graham cracker crust is a breeze, and really the rest of the assembly is just using your (handheld) mixer and beating things together. Pop it all in the oven for 10 minutes and you’re golden! Whether you’re making this treat for those sweltering summer months as an afternoon cool-down, or in the middle of winter, when you just need a reminder that summer will, indeed, come again, this pie will never disappoint!
Classic Key Lime Pie
- 1 1/3 cups ground graham cracker crumbs (9-10 crackers)
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (key limes or other)
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 1/4 tablespoons freshly grated lime zest, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º F and position oven rack in the middle of oven.
- In a bowl or the food processor, combine ground graham cracker crumbs with sugar and melted butter and stir/pulse to mix.
Note: it should have the consistency of coarse, damp sand.
- Transfer crumbs to a 9-inch pie dish and use your hands or flat-bottomed object to pack your crust into the bottom and sides of dish.
- Place crust in oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until light brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place lime zest in a large bowl or mixer and add egg yolks. Beat together for 5-6 minutes, or until thick and lightened in color.
- Pour in condensed milk and continue beating for another 3 minutes, then add in lime juice. Mix together until completely combined.
- Transfer batter into cooled graham cracker and evenly spread out the top.
- Place in oven and bake for another 10 minutes, but don’t let it brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Once cool, beat heavy cream in a large bowl until stiff peaks form, then add in powdered sugar.
- Spread whipped cream over pie and refrigerate 1-2 hours (optional) before serving.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen