Anna Feliciano won first place in our Family Favorites Thanksgiving Sides Recipe Contest with their Sweet Chili Calamari recipe. Anna says, “This is my family’s favorite appetizer and the most requested before our Thanksgiving feast!”
It’s easy to see why – crunchy rings of calamari coated in sweet and spicy chili sauce are a perfect way to start a celebratory feast. Try it out for yourself with the recipe below.
Sweet Chili Calamari by Anna Feliciano
- 5 large squid tubes
- 3/4 cup semolina
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed chile
- 1/2 teaspoon 5-spice powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups Thai sweet chili sauce
- Place semolina flour in a large flat plate and mix in the salt, pepper, and spices. Set aside.
- Place squid tubes on a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch wide slices.
- Open up the calamari rings and roll them one by one in the mixture.
- Remove them one at a time and place them on a clean plate.
- Heat up your oil in a large frying pan and keep on medium-high.
- When the oil is ready, place the rings one at a time and fry them for about a minute on each side.
- Once they are a nice golden brown, remove them and place them on a paper towel to drain.
- Once drained, place the rings in a bowl and coat well with the Thai sweet chili sauce.