This is a dinner solution so simple I hesitate to even call it a recipe, so let’s just go ahead and call it a brilliant idea. Stuffed Italian Sausage. I mean, Italian sausage on its own is great, but when you go ahead and stuff it with melty mozzarella cheese and let it bubble away in some zesty marinara? Well, that’s a whole ‘nother level of great. (And it’s easy. Incredibly super duper easy.)
You only need three ingredients here – some uncooked links of Italian sausage, some string cheese, and your favorite marinara sauce. That’s it!
Here’s what you do with them:
You slice open each link of sausage about halfway, creating a pocket but not cutting all the way through. Then you simply take a string cheese and stuff it into that pocket you created, pressing the sausage back into shape with your hands if you need to. Place those stuffed sausages in a bed of marinara and bake them until that cheese is ooey-gooey and those sausages are plump and juicy. I told you it was easy!
You can serve these over some pasta, but they also make for a great low carb meal if you simply pair them with your favorite veggies. You couldn’t ask for an easier family-friendly dinner!
Stuffed Italian Sausage
10m prep time
40m cook time
- 6 uncooked Italian sausage links
- 6 mozzarella cheese sticks
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- With a knife or kitchen scissors, make a slice down one side of each sausage, cutting about halfway into the sausage but not all the way through.
- Place a mozzarella stick into each cut, then using your hands, gently press sausage back into shape.
- Pour marinara into the bottom of a baking dish and spread out with a spoon or spatula.
- Arrange sausages in the baking dish, cut side up. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more, until sausages are cooked through and cheese is bubbly and lightly golden in places. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Cook at Home Mom.