While some might look at these pink squares and think they should be called strawberry cake bars, their rich, dense consistency definitely pushes them into the brownie category…and we wouldn’t have it any other way!
If you’re looking for a scrumptious dessert that’s a little off the beaten path, then these are for you. They’re the perfect choice for when you want something fruity and sweet, but don’t want something light and unassuming; these pink ladies pack some serious punch and we can’t wait for you to try them out!
Yield: 1 dozen
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- white chocolate chips, optional
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line a 9-inch square baking dish with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on both sides.
- In a large bowl or mixer, beat eggs and canola oil into cake mix until no lumps remain.
Note: if using chocolate chips, fold them in now.
- Pour batter into lined baking dish and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean.
- Remove brownies from oven and let cool 5 minutes before extracting parchment paper from baking dish and transferring to a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk and vanilla extract into powdered sugar until smooth.
Note: for a thicker glaze, use less milk; for a thinner glaze, more milk.
- Drizzle glaze over the slightly cooled brownies and let set before cutting into squares and serving.
Recipe adapted from Family Savvy