For a tasty appetizer, we’ve got a yummy casserole that is the perfect thing to munch on before you start your meal. Essentially the offspring (or cousin?) to the strata–the savory equivalent of French toast–this casserole is a simpler and quicker alternative that packs just as powerful a punch. Aside from being super cheesy and scrumptious, it’s also a great dish to get the kids involved with; any aspiring chefs would love to help with the cheese distribution and to get a chance to say they helped contribute to dinner! Deliciously cheesy and super easy, we’ve got you covered if you’re scrambling before guests come over.
Cheesy Spinach Bread Bake
- 8 cups cubed bread (French or Italian)
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place 1/2 of cubed bread in a 9×13-inch baking dish and drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Then sprinkle with 1 cup cheddar cheese and 1 1/2 cups spinach.
- Place remaining breadcrumbs on top of cheese and spinach and drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- Top with remaining cheddar and mozzarella and spinach, placing parmesan over the top.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen