Whip up a batch of these and watch them disappear before your eyes!
When it comes to desserts, we don’t usually think of sour cream as being a key ingredient, but it definitely is here. We have a raging sweet tooth, so we’re always off in search of treats, but one of our least favorite things is to bite into something that’s way too sweet and cloying. Balance is essential, so overly sweet stuff just kind of makes us regret digging in in the first place…but not with these bars!
Like an apple crisp-cheesecake hybrid, these bars are seriously addictive. We started with a base crumble that we used half of to pat down into a crust, then we filled that with our sour cream apple filling, and topped everything off with the remaining crumble and a healthy smattering of walnuts. Die-hard apple fans will love these bars. Even those who only tolerate apples will love these bars – it’s impossible not to!
Sour Cream Apple Bars
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 cups apples, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Cream together butter and sugars in a large bowl or mixer until fluffy and lightened in color.
- Add in oats, flour and walnuts, then mix in baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and allspice until combined.
- Pour 1/2 crust mixture into lined baking dish and use your hands or a flat-bottomed surface to press crust into an even layer.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- While crust is pre-baking, whisk together sour cream, sugar, egg, honey and vanilla extract in a large bowl, then mix in shredded apples.
- Pour mixture over baked bottom crust and spread into an even layer, then top with remaining crumble mixture, pressing gently, so it adheres to filling layer.
- Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes, or until topping is golden brown. Cover with aluminum foil if topping is browning too quickly.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving.
Recipe adapted from Land O Lakes