Soft Batch Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Instantly satisfy your chocolate craving this chocolate-on-chocolate cookie.
There’s no way to improve a chocolate chip cookie unless you’re planning on adding more chocolate, and that’s just what’s going on here. A double chocolate chip cookie, one that’s fudgy and all warm and melty is just the most swoon-worthy treat one could possibly imagine. I mean, look at this! One of these fresh from the oven is enough to satisfy a serious chocolate craving. Baking something as special and as decadent as this will almost definitely require a tall glass of milk on the side for dunking.
One ingredient that makes a small but important difference – totally optional – is a little bit of espresso powder. The coffee flavor actually helps to bring out the flavor of the chocolate. And don’t worry, you don’t taste it at all. It’s just a subtle way to enhance the overall cookie experience. And rather than granulated sugar, we’ve gone with brown sugar. That molasses-y taste and texture will be an important part of achieving that almost fudgy texture that we’re looking for here.
Choosing a chocolate chip can be a tough choice here. Most of our crew likes milk chocolate chips and so that is a usual go-to when it comes to a chocolate chip cookie. But to really make these rich in chocolate flavor, a nice semi-sweet chocolate chip would be a great alternative to a milk chocolate chip. If you’ve made these before, then you’re likely familiar with all the possible add-ins, like chopped nuts, marshmallows, even white chocolate chips. We’re sticking to chocolate on chocolate for this recipe and not looking back. A double chocolate chip cookie is an amazingly delicious way to amp up your chocolate chip cookie game!
Soft-Batch Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serves 24-36 cookies
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix flour, cocoa powder, instant espresso, baking soda, and salt until evenly blended. Set aside.
- Add brown sugar to a large mixing bowl. Pour melted butter over and stir until just combined. Let cool slightly, 3-5 minutes.
- Add egg and egg yolk and stir to combine. Once blended, stir in vanilla extract.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients in 3 small batches. Stir until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Measure a heaping tablespoon of the cookie dough for each cooke. Spread cookies evenly apart on the cookie sheet for baking.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges of cookie are just set. The rest of the cookie will be soft and fudgy.
- Cool directly on cookies sheet for 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Recipe adapted from I Heart Eating.