You might first look at this recipe and think, why would I use a slow cooker to bake when I have a fully functional oven?,” and–unless you don’t have a fully functional oven–that would be a pretty good question. However, we often find that our much-desired baked goods somehow go astray after we put them in the oven, and we just can’t seem to get that perfectly moist dessert that we’ve been hankering for.
Baking your chocolate chip banana bread in the slow cooker is the best way to get a super delicious, moist loaf of bread that will knock your socks off! You can decide what’s easiest for you, in terms of what to cook your bread in: the slow cooker inset itself, a loaf pan nestled carefully into the inset .it’s up to you! Just for fun, you could do a side-by-side comparison with your normal banana bread and your slow cooker banana bread. Put it to the test and see which one disappears faster!
Slow Cooker Banana Bread
Yields 1 loaf
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups very ripe mashed bananas (2-3 large bananas)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup plain, Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Remove stoneware inset from slow cooker and turn heat up to high. Grease inset (or a loaf pan) with butter or non-stick spray.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt, and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl or mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. 3-5 minutes.
- One at a time, add eggs, waiting for each to be fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Beat in the mashed bananas, yogurt, bourbon, vanilla extract and cinnamon.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into slow cooker inset, return inset to slow cooker sleeve and cook for 2-3 hours.
Note: if using a loaf pan, place a layer of crumpled aluminum foil on the bottom to keep the pan from touching the bottom of cooker. Then cover the foil with damp paper towels. Cook for 3-4 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove inset or loaf pan from slow cooker and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the loaf, remove and let cool completely before serving.
Recipe adapted from Bake At Midnite