Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken
This is just too good not to share…
While we’ve never been to Morocco (bucket list!), we can confidently say we love Moroccan food, especially any type of Moroccan chicken. Traditionally made in earthenware tajines, Moroccan chicken typically consists of fall-off-the-bone chicken, an assortment of veggies and/or beans, plus the addition of dried fruits for added sweetness and texture. Since we aren’t in possession of a tajine, we turned to our trusty slow cooker in order to let our chicken cook until it’s so tender it falls off the bone. That, along with carrots, onion, tomato, chickpeas, pears and prunes – gotta have that sweetness – and we’re in business.
The great thing about this dish is that it’s a true set it and forget it meal. Substance comes from the chicken, chickpeas and veggies, with plenty of flavor added in thanks to the addition of garlic, cumin, paprika, cinnamon and black pepper. Pears and prunes are the unexpected element, however, that really up the ante and make this meal special. We have countless chicken recipes we’ve made over the years, but very few incorporate fruit into the mix, making this dish extra special. Even though it might sound strange at first, we guarantee the sweet components make a huge difference with the overall flavor and aren’t to be missed!
Essentially a hearty chicken stew, we love how versatile this dish is and how it can be served with just about anything. We like to serve it with couscous, but rice, quinoa, even egg noodles would still taste great with this. Whether you put all your ingredients in the slow cooker and set it on low before you leave the house for the day, or you get home and pop everything in on high, this is an easy, delicious AND nutritious meal that everyone will love, trust us on that.
15 minutes active; 3 hours inactive
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 large carrots, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10.25 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup prunes, diced
- 2 pears, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- kosher salt, as needed
- couscous, for serving
- Place chicken thighs, carrots, onion and chickpeas in slow cooker, then top with tomatoes, prunes, pears and garlic.
- Season with cumin, paprika, black pepper, cinnamon and salt, then cover slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3 hours (or on low for 4-5 hours), or until chicken is tender, then shred chicken.
- Serve hot with couscous and enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Nutritionist Reviews