Easy, delicious, and festive – the perfect meal for the holidays!
Normally we think of cookies, fudge, and all sorts of sweets when it comes to food for Christmas. Today, I have an awesome Christmas soup! It’s creamy, hearty, and oh so festive. With several kinds of canned tomatoes, basil, and tri-colored pasta, it makes for a pretty red and green soup.
Aside from the noodles and tomatoes, this Christmas Soup has cheese and sour cream, making it a delicious, creamy, cheesy meal. The best part, however, is how easy it is to throw together! I love a good slow cooker recipe, and this one might be my new favorite.
Start by adding canned diced tomatoes, juice and all into the slow cooker. Then, add canned Italian stewed tomatoes with the juice, followed by green chilies, with, you guessed it, the juice. You’ll get all of that flavor added right into the soup without doing a thing!
Add a bit of garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and vegetable stock to the slow cooker, followed by Velveeta cheese. Cook on high for one hour and then whisk in sour cream, cooked pasta, and basil. Cook everything for an additional hour on high.
Serve this amazing meal with some tortilla chips and a sprinkle of red pepper on top! You can add a dollop of sour cream as well for an extra-creamy soup. You can also add shredded chicken to this meal if you’re looking for some extra protein, but I love it just the way it is. Go ahead and try out this recipe!
Slow Cooker Christmas Soup
Makes 6 servings
5m prep time
2h cook time
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 14.5 oz can Italian stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 10 oz can Rotel Original tomatoes and green chilies, with juice
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, sliced into 1-inch slices
- 4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 12 oz box tricolor spiral-shaped pasta, cooked al dente according to package directions
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- Tortilla chips
- Crushed red pepper flakes to sprinkle on top
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a slow cooker, add all of the canned tomatoes with the juice. Break up the stewed tomatoes into pieces with a spoon.
- Stir in garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, then add the stock and Velveeta. Cook on high for 1 hour.
- Whisk in the sour cream and add the cooked pasta and basil. Cook 1 hour on high.
- Serve topped with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, more basil, and tortilla chips.
Recipe adapted from Erica's Recipes.