There’s nothing quite like those doughy, homey, from-scratch noodles.
How does tender, melt-in-your-mouth beef that’s been cooked low and slow in an oniony broth combined with softy, chewy homemade noodles sound? Great? I thought so! Excellent news – that’s exactly what I have for you here, and it’s alllll done in the slow cooker. Simple to make and so very easy to enjoy, this is one to keep in your recipe books so you can make it on repeat.
It seems like something involving shredded beef and homemade noodles would be complicated, but that couldn’t be further from the truth with this recipe. You start by cooking the beef and while it does cook for a long time, it only uses a couple of ingredients and the slow cooker does all the work for you.
You’ll want a chuck roast around three pounds and to flavor it you’ll simply use a can of beef consomme and a can of French onion soup. You combine those three things in the slow cooker and let it cook on low for at least eight hours, and up to ten wouldn’t hurt one bit. Once it’s easily shreddable (and full of beefy, onion flavor), you shred the meat, add some beef broth to the slow cooker, and start to work on the noodles.
Now, these aren’t noodles that you need any special rolling equipment for. These are rustic, homey, lumpy noodles, and there’s nothing else that tastes quite like them. You make them right on the counter while the broth and beef simmer – just mix up some flour, salt, a few eggs, and then roll out the dough and slice it into strips.
You drop those strips into the simmering broth, cover the slow cooker again, and let it bubble away for one more very patience-trying hour where the noodles plump up into pillowy, doughy perfection. The end result is comfort food as comfort food is meant to be – hearty, homey, and so darn delicious.
Slow Cooker Beef and Noodles
20m prep time
11h cook time
- 3 lb chuck roast
- 1 (10.75 oz) can French Onion Soup
- 1 (10.75 oz) can Beef Consomme
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
For the noodles:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup water
- Add roast to the insert of a 6-qt slow cooker. Add soup and consommé and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove roast to a platter or sheet pan and set aside briefly.
- Add broth to slow cooker and turn to high. Leave uncovered.
- Shred roast, then return meat to slow cooker. Cover and let cook while you make the noodles:
- On a clean work surface, mix together flour and salt with your fingers.
- Make a well in the center and add yolks and whole egg and break up eggs with your fingers. Again using your hands, work eggs into the dough.
- Add water 1 teaspoon at a time until dough holds together. Roll dough out to desired thickness, then cut into noodles of your desired width.
- Collect any scraps, re-roll, and cut into noodles once more.
- Drop noodles into slow cooker and continue cooking on high, covered, until noodles are plump and tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir in sour cream, if using, serve, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Love Bakes Good Cakes.