Quinoa is absolutely a delicious side dish that can be mixed with a large variety of ingredients. You can go a light route and simply mix it with fresh herbs, or your can go for the brighter salad look and mix with some vegetables.
For our quinoa, we wanted to make a fresh-tasting salad with a combination of legumes and vegetables. We mixed in some tomatoes, black beans, and corn for a more southwestern tasting side dish. This could easily be served next to a variety of Mexican dishes, or even as a filling in burritos. Keep reading below for this fantastic, simple recipe!
Black Bean Quinoa Recipe
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup dried quinoa cooked in a rice cooker with 2 cups water)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 6 green onions, root removed, white and green parts chopped
- 1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- Whisk together the olive oil, cumin, chili powder, garlic, lime juice, salt, and cayenne pepper Set aside.
- Prepare the quinoa, and quile the quinoa is cooking, rinse and drain the beans, then chop the vegetables. When the quinoa is done cooking, mix together the beans, vegetables, and quinoa in a large bowl. Fold in the spice and oil mixture.
- Set the quinoa in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors blend. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Recipe adapted fromBon AppetitSKM: below-content placeholder