A sliceable, shareable sheet pan version of a southern favorite.
You know classic southern style squash casserole? With plenty of tender yellow squash, crispy cracker topping, and ooey-gooey cheese? Well, this casserole has ALL of that, it just goes about it in a very different way… because it all comes together on a sheet pan! Our Sheet Pan Squash Casserole has that same irresistible cheesy squash and cracker crunch but is a bit more crowd-friendly than the traditional version and has a higher topping-to-squash ratio to boot. Feed your fam, feed your friends, and maybe have some leftover. (That’s a big maybe, this stuff goes fast!)
You’re going to start by boiling your squash in water with some onion – you want it to be nice and tender.
While that boils, you’re going to get your base ready. That base is whole butter crackers that you line up on a rimmed baking sheet…
… and then top with cheese and bake just long enough for it to get all melty.
Then, you spread the squash mixture over the crackers and cheese and top it with a mixture of sour cream, heavy cream, mayo, beaten egg, and a couple of seasonings. It keeps things creamy, but the egg helps hold everything together.
But we’re not done yet! There’s another layer of cheese to go on top and then also crushed crackers mixed with some melted butter. (We just want to make sure they’re extra golden brown and buttery, okay?) Now you’re ready to bake.
The crackers on the bottom form a sturdy yet crispy base, while the extra buttery ones on top add an extra added crunch. There’s plenty of cheese and creaminess going on here but since the slices are thin, the richness isn’t overwhelming. It’s a recipe that makes squash casserole perfect for a potluck since it’s so sliceable and sharable, the only problem is that it’s so good you might not actually want to share it.
Sheet Pan Squash Casserole
Serves 8; 10 minutes prep, 25 minutes cook time
- 2 lbs summer squash, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 sleeve butter crackers
- 4 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
For the topping:
- 1 cup butter crackers, crushed
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 10x15-inch rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, bring squash, 5 cups of water, onion, and 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Line bottom of prepared baking sheet with crackers. Top evenly with 3 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Bake until cheese has melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, heavy cream, garlic powder, pepper, eggs, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Spread squash mixture over melted cheese and gradually pour egg mixture over the squash.
- Top with remaining cheese. Toss together crushed crackers and melted butter and sprinkle over cheese.
- Bake until center has set, about 25 minutes. Let cool about 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Taste of the South Magazine.