Its made with one of our favorite dynamic duos: chocolate and peanut butter.
When we think of all the great duos in cooking and baking, three particular duos come to mind: salt and pepper, oil and vinegar, and chocolate and peanut butter. It’s this last combo that we want to focus on today, and rather than baking in the oven we’re going to use our slow cooker instead. Baking in the slow cooker is a great way to maximize oven space, especially if we’re already using the oven to cook a meal. Our slow cooker has seen us through many an amazing dinner over the years, and now we can use it to help us make a sweet and delicious dessert. Check out this decadent and divine slow cooker Reese’s cake.
Nothing extraordinary is required to make this happen, just box cake mix, peanut butter, and a bag of mini Reese’s peanut butter cups. We stir up the batter and pour it into our well-greased slow cooker. What comes out of the slow cooker is quite extraordinary. Once the cake bakes and cools, we whip up a delicious peanut butter frosting and drizzle it over the top of the chocolate cake. And to make this an “official” Reese’s peanut butter cake, we chop up mini chocolate peanut butter cups and sprinkle them over the top. Now each and every bite has that perfect pairing of chocolate and peanut butter. Yum yum!
When the oven is already in use making something delicious for dinner, we can employ our slow cooker to take care of dessert. The kitchen smells so good that everyone is torn on where to go first – the oven for a savory meal or the slow cooker for a sweet treat! This chocolate peanut butter cake is rich, moist, and downright irresistible. It might seem a bit unusual to use the slow cooker for baking, but once you try it, you’ll likely pull out your slow cooker for more than just a chili or stew. Yet another example of a match made in heaven, this slow cooker chocolate peanut butter Reese’s cake is guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Slow Cooker Reese's Cake
2-3 hours, + cooling time
- 1 (15.25 oz) box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter, divided
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 30 mini Reese’s peanut butter cups, chopped
- Chocolate fudge sauce, for garnish
- Coat a 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, water, eggs, ½ cup peanut butter, and ⅓ cup softened butter with a hand mixer until well combined. Pour cake batter into slow cooker, cover with lid and cook on High for 2-3 hours. Check after 90 minutes for doneness.
- Carefully remove pot from slow cooker and set on a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- Prepare glaze. Mix ¼ cup creamy peanut butter with 1 cup powdered sugar and ¼ cup milk. Stir until creamy. Spread evenly over top of cake. Sprinkle chopped peanut butter cups over top of frosting and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Enjoy!