We all appreciate the culinary magic of a slow cooker. We just throw some ingredients into the pot and 8 hours later our home is filled with the smell of a home-cooked meal that took very little effort to make. One of our favorite slow cooker meals is this potato soup; it’s hearty and rich, and an easy meal to just throw together, especially when we know most of these ingredients are already in our refrigerator and pantry. We can feed our family a meal that is truly belly-warming and good.
This is a budget-friendly meal that goes a long way to feed our hungry bunch. You can’t get more wallet-friendly than potatoes and canned soup. But one of the best parts of this is the creaminess, and that comes from cream cheese and cheddar cheese for a little extra bite. We love to use sharp cheddar because it brings in great flavor on its own. And bright green onions add not only flavor but a nice pop of green color.
Bacon, potatoes, cheese and a kiss of freshness with the green onions sprinkled on top will keep everyone coming back for more. Did we also mention that you can toss everything in the slow cooker and walk away until dinner time rolls around? We love this not only for the economy of a budget but also the economy of time. The slow cooker is a great way to save on time, especially when it comes to busy weeknights, and this is a meal that is guaranteed to please!
Slow Cooker Crack Potato Soup
10 minutes active, 8 hours inactive
- 1 (28 oz) package frozen shredded hash browns
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (1 oz) package ranch dressing mix
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Chopped green onions, garnish (optional)
- Combine hash browns, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, ranch dressing mix, and bacon into slow cooker. Reserve ½ cup chopped bacon for garnish.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- 15 minutes prior to serving, stir in cream cheese and 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until melted and creamy.
- Garnish with reserved cheddar, chopped bacon, and green onions (if desired).