You haven’t had a delicious chocolate cake until you’ve tasted this mayonnaise cake recipe. Minimal ingredients and easy to follow instructions make this cake recipe a staple in my dessert cookbook. Don’t worry if you’re not a fan of mayonnaise either….you won’t even taste it!
The best part of this cake is the consistency that mayonnaise brings to the cake. No one wants to eat a dry piece of cake! Mayonnaise is great because it helps to keep the finished product moist and almost chewy. It’s an unexpected ingredient that does wonders to make this chocolate cake recipe extra delicious!
A homemade cake is actually much easier than one might imagine, just a handful of pantry staples and we can really whip up something great. A store-bought frosting can make the process even simpler, but when we’ve got the time, we’ll definitely whip up our own from scratch.
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
45 minutes + Cooling Time
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Frosting (store-bought or homemade)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat two 9-inch round baking pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda together in a bowl. Add mayonnaise and blend to combine.
- Add water and vanilla extract and blend until batter is smooth. Pour batter equally into two prepared baking pans.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the middle of each cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely. Place one cake on bottom of serving tray. Add a layer of frosting as a filling. Top with second cake and cover with remaining frosting.