Refried beans are our favorite part of taco night, and these ones are healthy and easy to make!!!
We love everything about Mexican food, but you can bet we double up on those refried beans when we get the chance; refried beans are our favorite because of their great flavor and rich thickness, so it’s no wonder that we were disappointed by the canned version…there’s just no comparison to the restaurant-quality ones we know and love!
Sadly, we thought canned beans were our only chance of getting this delicious side dish at home, but lo and behold, these can be made in the slow cooker and they’re super easy, absolutely delicious, and way healthier for you than the traditional beans – that’s what we call a win-win-win!!
Slow Cooker Refried Beans
- 6-8 cups water
- 1 pound dry pinto beans
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place beans in slow cooker and top with 6-8 cups water, or so that beans are covered by 2-3 inches of water.
- Add onion to beans and stir in chili powder, garlic powder and cumin.
- Season generously with salt and pepper, then cover and cook on HIGH for 8-10 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Remove onion, then use a potato masher to mash beans as finely or coarsely as you like.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary, serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Good Cheap Eats