This Grilled Honey Harissa Chicken with Cilantro Cream Sauce have the perfect balance of sweet and heat! This fast and easy 4-ingredient marinade recipe is great for BBQs, and easy enough for a weeknight dinner! Grilled boneless chicken thighs have never been more flavorful!
Grilled Honey Harissa Chicken with Cilantro Cream Sauce
- For the chicken:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken thighs- pounded out to 1/4” thickness
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Cilantro Cream Sauce:
- 2 cloves garlic, whole
- the juice of 1 lime
- 1 bunch of cilantro, (including stems)
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt , (or sour cream)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Make the Cilantro Cream Sauce: In a food processor, pulse the whole garlic, lime juice and cilantro (pushing down the sides with a spatula as needed) until garlic and cilantro are finely chopped. Add the sour cream, coriander, salt and pepper and apple cider vinegar, and pulse until smooth. Sauce can be made up to a few days in advance (flavor builds as it sits).
- Make the marinade for the chicken: In a small bowl, whisk together harissa paste, honey, grated ginger and minced garlic until well incorporated. Once chicken has been pounded out to 1/4” thickness with a meat mallet, transfer to a bowl or ziplock bag and coat all pieces evenly with the marinade. Marinate chicken for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight before grilling for maximum flavor.
- Cooking the chicken on the grill: Set one side of the grill to medium-high and one to low, close the grill lid and allow to grill to heat up for 15 minutes.
- Place the chicken on the grill on the high side first, and grill for 7-10 minutes until well browned/charred, checking occasionally to make sure the chicken doesn’t burn. Keep an eye out for flare-ups on the grill, and move chicken around as needed to ensure even browning/crust.
- Once the chicken is browned on the first side, flip kit over and move to the cool side and grill, covered for an additional 5-7 minutes, checking occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, and an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving/ slicing.
- Serve chicken warm with sauce on side, or even as a taco!