This is a great cool salad for BBQS, Picnics, and Potlucks. Served with Grilled burgers, hotdogs, pulled pork, etc. or sandwiches. Great color, robust flavor, can be in a warm environment unlike Creamy based salads.
Ruby Bean Salad
- 3 cans Green Beans
- 2 Cans Wax Beans
- 2 cans Beets sliced or chunks (whole cut into pieces)
- 1/2-3/4 cup Italian Dressing of your choice (Zesty Italian, Kens Italian, etc
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- Optional: fresh herbs of your choice minced (celery leaves, Parsley, Dill, Mint)
- 4 scallions/Green Onions or 1/2 medium white or yellow onion diced
- Keeping the proportions is important. Substitute fresh beans and beets, just cook them (steam) or you could use roasted vegetables, where possible cut beets in French fry shape, or sliced or chunks.
- In a bowl add salad dressing and sweet pickle relish, optional items should be added as well, mix.
- Drain all canned items, liquids are valuable vitamin rich and should be saved for another recipe (if the red/pink liquid of beets are not pleasing to you, don't save). This vegetable broth is great for rice or grain cooking as well as a base for vegetable soups.
- Mixed drained vegetables into dressing bowl, mix well. Best if stored overnight covered in refrigerator, this will allow the melding of flavor and pickling or raw onions if used.