Starry Starry Nite Blueberry Pie Inspired by the beauty of a clear summer’s nite during blueberry season this pie is bright and lush with hints of cinnamon and lemon between a wonderful flaky crust! Done!
Starry Starry Nite Blueberry Pie
- Blueberry filling
- 1/3 -1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 pints fresh blueberries ,washed and picked over
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ounces sweet butter, in chunks
- 4 ounces shortening , in chunks
- 1/3-1/2 cup ice water
- 1 beaten egg
- Cinnamon sugar & large sparkling sugar crystals if desired as garnish
- To make filling
- Whisk together flour,sugars and cinnamon. Use 1/2 cup flour if you prefer a more solid filling over a natural loose berry one.
- In a large saucepan bring the berries, lemon zest and juice to a gentle boil.
- Stirring constantly, gently stir the flour mix into the berries for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter.
- To make the pie crust
- Combine the dry ingredients and sift.
- Add butter and shortening and break up until pea size pieces become crumbs. Use a a fork , pastry cutter or carefully in a food processor.
- Add enough water to form a dough. Divide into 2 equal pieces and flatten.
- Chill wrapped in plastic for 20 minutes.
- Roll out bottom crust 1 inch bigger than 9 inch pan. Roll onto rolling pan and gently ease into pan. Cut edge and gently press down.
- Cover with plastic and chill while cutting stars.
- Cut 3 - 2 1/2 inch stars and 20 or so 1 inch stars from second piece of dough rolled out.
- Filling should now be cool. Add to chilled crust in pan.
- Baste edge of crust with beaten egg and add stars to the edge saving some for the middle. Place 3 large stars in the center of pie and add the rest of the smaller ones.
- Cover with plastic and return to refrigerator to chill while oven preheats!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- When oven is ready place pie pan on baking sheet. Baste with egg and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and sugar crystals if desired.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 and bake another 45 -50 minutes . Watch crust to get done - but cover edges if it gets too dark too soon with aluminum foil.
- Cool completely before serving!
- Serves 6-8
Check out some other recipes!