Italian Recipe: Amazing Beef and Sausage Lasagna
Homemade lasagna is one of those hearty, cheesy, belly-warming dishes that provides the cook many opportunities for creativity and improvisation.
Most recipes call for using one type of meat – beef – as the main ingredient; however, using only ground beef can render the dish too bland, and relying solely on Italian sausage can overpower it. By using the flavor profile of both, you’ll end up with a unique balance that’s just right. Keep reading below for our favorite two-meat lasagna recipe…
(makes 12 servings)
- 1lb sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 3/4 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28oz crushed tomatoes no salt added
- 12oz tomato paste
- 13oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespooon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16oz ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until the meat is well browned.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water.
- Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons parsley.
- Let the mixture simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, covered, stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of slightly salted water to a boil.
- Cook noodles in the boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the noodles.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- In a 9″x13″ basking dish, spread 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce on the bottom. Arrange half the noodles lengthwise over the meat sauce. Spread half the ricotta cheeze mixture over the noodles, then add a third of the mozzarella cheese slices. Top with another 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce, then add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Repeat this process with the remaining ingredients, then top it all with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil, then bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil, then bake an additional 25 minutes.
- Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from: Washington PostSKM: below-content placeholder