The heartier and creamier version of the classic comfort food!
Chicken noodle soup is the quintessential American comfort food and somehow always manages to make us feel better, whether we’re under the weather or just had a rough day. While we love the traditional soup, we’re more a fan of hearty casseroles, so turning this dish into a smooth and cheesy baked meal was a no-brainer!
Somewhere between a chicken noodle soup and a chicken pot pie, our chicken noodle casserole combines the best of both worlds, but is actually easier to make. We use parmesan and breadcrumbs to create a crumbly crust-like topping that perfectly compliments the creamy textures below. Plus, with all this deliciousness, picky eaters won’t even notice the hidden veggies. This sturdy casserole holds up well and is great as next-day leftovers, but we’re skeptical it’ll last that long – ours sure doesn’t!
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 1 pound egg noodles
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 (14 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (16 oz.) bag frozen peas and carrots
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook egg noodles according to packaging directions, or until al dente.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine soups and heavy cream and stir together to mix.
- Add frozen vegetables, cheddar cheese, cubed chicken and egg noodles, and season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a large casserole dish and lightly tap it against the counter to remove air bubbles and smooth it out.
- In a separate bowl, toss together breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and melted butter. Sprinkle evenly over the top of casserole.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and sauce is bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with more cheese.
Recipe adapted from The Taylor House