We guess you could make a case that all dessert is a dream, but this layered cake really is quite well named. With a soft layer of vanilla cake, a cool and creamy filling, and a sweet jello topping dotted with fresh raspberries, we think it’s pretty much a dream come true.
We love that it has so many different textures, yet manages to remain airy and light, and that it’s sweet without hitting you over the head with sugar. It’s a cake that feels dainty and delicate, but it still packs in a lot of flavor.
We went ahead and used a box mix for the cake base here, but you can bake one from scratch or even use a store bought cake if you’d like. (Sponge cake would work great!) You just want to make sure that whatever container or pan you’re using will leave enough room for both the cream cheese layer and the jello layer in the end. You will probably have some batter leftover, but only fill the pan about a third of the way before you bake. The cake will definitely rise in the oven, and you don’t want a situation where jello spills all over your fridge. That would not be dreamy.
Raspberry Dream Cake
30 minutes active, 1 1/2 hours inactive
- For the cake:
- 1 box white or vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients listed on box
- For the filling:
- 8 oz frozen whipped topping
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, lightly mashed
- For the topping:
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 package (6 oz) raspberry Jell-o
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions and bake in a 10-inch round cake pan, using only enough batter to fill it 1/3 of the way. Baking time will be approximately 20-24 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a medium bowl, mix together the mashed raspberries, whipped topping, and cream cheese until well combined. Once the cake has cooled completely, spread the filling evenly over the cake. Place in the freezer while you prepare the last layer.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Whisk in raspberry jello until dissolved and then stir in raspberries.
- Remove cake from freezer and pour jello layer on top of the cream cheese layer. Cover with plastic wrap and let chill in the fridge until completely set. Enjoy!