When you’re looking for something comforting and warm there’s nothing like soup to make you feel cozy and satisfied. For these reasons this pumpkin soup with tortellini recipe is a wonderful and hearty way to enjoy a bowl of soup. And, since we’re using canned pumpkin here the preparation for this soup is incredibly easy. If there’s one thing I enjoy more than a tasty meal it’s a tasty meal that doesn’t take much effort to prepare.
Nutmeg and onion give this soup the prefect level of spice. And there’s also some Yukon gold potatoes in the pot, too, for a really hearty meal-in-a-bowl. You could add in other veggies as well if you wanted, like zucchini or carrot.
This soup is great with a dollop of sour cream on top to just give it some tangy smoothness that enhances the silky texture of the pumpkin.
This soup recipe has a slight sweetness that goes so beautifully with the savory flavors of the tortellini and the potatoes. It’s sure to become a cold weather staple for soup-loving households and couldn’t be easier to throw together on busy nights.
Pumpkin Soup with Tortellini
10m prep time
27m cook time
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (29 oz) can pumpkin purée
- 1 (32 oz) carton vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (9 oz) package cheese or mushroom tortellini
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- sour cream for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in medium stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and potatoes and cook for 4 minutes. Pour in pumpkin, stock, nutmeg, onion powder, and garlic powder then bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add tortellini to soup and allow to boil for 5-7 minutes or until tortellini is cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with parsley on top and a dollop of sour cream.
Recipe adapted from Taste.