Something this simple and good is a no-brainer.
If you’re anything like us, there are nights where you want to get a healthy meal on the table, but you don’t have a lot of time to stand at the stove and you’re not feeling terribly creative. On such evenings, it can be tempting to call for takeout – and sometimes we’ve absolutely given in to that temptation – but that’s not something we want to rely on all the time… There’s just nothing like a homemade meal!
This easy bake is one of our go-to weeknight meals because it solves all of the above problems. It takes ingredients that we usually have around and combines them for a simple (and delicious) meal that makes great leftovers and pairs up perfectly with a quick green salad.
The smashed garlic remains mellow while it roasts and the lemon brings a bright, citrusy note to the whole dish that only lemon can. The potatoes are tender, but not mushy, and boneless chicken thighs bake up quickly but remain moist. You can definitely use bone-in, skin-on chicken here, you’ll just have a longer baking time. We like boneless thighs rather than boneless breasts as they remain juicier at this high temperature. Nobody wants dry chicken!
Lemon Garlic Chicken Bake
Serves 4-6; 45 minutes
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 lbs yellow potatoes, peeled and sliced (1/4” thick)
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the potatoes, lemon slices, onion, and garlic cloves. Toss with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange half of this mixture in the bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Season chicken thighs liberally with salt and pepper and arrange on top of potatoes in baking dish. Top with remaining potato mixture and bake until potatoes are tender and chicken is cooked through, 30-40 minutes. Enjoy!