Sweet and salty and so easy to make.
Rice Krispie Treats are a beloved treat for a reason – they’re easy to make, they’re delicious, and they’re a total crowd-pleaser. But if you happen to be looking for something a little more unexpected or you happen to be a major fan of all things salty and sweet, you definitely need to try these. Why? Well, they’re the exact same concept (and just as easy to make) but instead of being based on cereal, they’re based on… potato chips!
Maybe that sounds a little odd, but trust me, it works. The saltiness in the potato chips is the ideal companion to the sweet and buttery melted marshmallow mixture that binds these bars together. Think caramel corn or candied bacon or even peanut butter and jelly… all sweet and salty, all delicious. These treats are no different.
The potato chip crunch is a different experience than crisped rice cereal; it’s a little more delicate, a little more crumbly. You want to use ruffled chips here so that the texture stands up; a thinner more delicate chip would probably just dissolve. To make these, you just crumble up your chips (one 8 oz bag will do) and melt some butter and marshmallows on the stove until it’s wonderfully sticky.
Then (just like with traditional krispie treats), you quickly stir everything together and press it into a pan to harden up into sliceable, sticky, irresistible treat bars. But in this case, they’re not just crispy and sweet, they’ve also got that rich and salty addictive potato chip crunch.
Potato Chip Krispie Treats
10m prep time
1 cook time
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups ruffled potato chips, crushed (about 1 8 oz bag)
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and crushed chips until completely coated.
- Transfer to a greased 9x9 baking dish. Using greased fingers, press to flatten.
- Let sit until cool, then cut into squares and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Lauren's Latest.