If you’ve seen any of our other recipes, there’s a good chance you know how much we love casseroles around here at 12 Tomatoes. We don’t know what it is, but casseroles are our ultimate comfort food and we’re constantly striving to come up with new favorites that everyone will love.
Here, we’ve got a pizza casserole that, quite frankly, blew us away. Seriously, our family has pizza night every week and that tradition wasn’t going anywhere, but then we tried this casserole version and we were totally shocked; the flavor is exactly that of our favorite weekly tradition and, even though there’s no dough involved (we swapped in pasta for that), it’s like taking a bite out of the greatest deep-dish ever…don’t take our word for it – whip it up and taste for yourself! We bet you’ll be blown away too!
30min to prepare Serves 8-10
- 1 pound bow-tie or spiral pasta
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 2 (26 oz.) jars spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 pound pepperoni
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375º F and bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Cook pasta according to packaging directions, or until just al dente.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook sausage and onion until meat is browned and onion is softened and translucent.
- Season with salt and pepper, garlic powder, basil and oregano.
- Drain off excess grease and pour in spaghetti sauce and cooked pasta. Cook for 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Pour sausage and pasta mixture into baking dish and top with parmesan cheese.
- Evenly spread mozzarella cheese over the top and lay our pepperoni on top of that.
- Place baking dish in oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until cheese melted and bubbly and dish is warmed through.
Recipe adapted from Taste Of Home