There’s something truly magical about tropical flavor combinations. They transport us to far away places where these exotic foods naturally grow. Thanks to the magic of the supermarket we can have these delights anytime, and it’s wonderful to be able to whip up a batch of these pineapple coconut fritters whenever we want to have a delectable tropical treat.
Many fritters are mostly dough with a little fruit in, but not these fritters. The centerpiece of this recipe is that you use whole pineapple rings as the foundation for each fritter, which are then dipped in batter and finally in shredded coconut before getting deep fried.
You could use fresh pineapple for this recipe, but we prefer to use canned for the convenience factor. Plus, the canned pineapple is just a little bit softer which means you’re less likely to bite into a hard spot.
Regardless of which type of pineapple you use the end result is that when you bite into one of these fritters you get a hit of juicy fruit that makes this dessert feel very refreshing despite being deep fried. But, we do also love how golden and crispy the coconut coating gets when you fry these bad boys up. It’s the best of both worlds: fresh and decadent.
This recipe comes together with minimal effort, but you will have to let the batter rest in the fridge for 2 hours for best results. Aside from that this one comes together very easily.
Serve the finished fritters with a dollop of whipped cream to send this sweet dish into new levels of delicious. You can also make a fruit dip by combining 1 cup sour cream, 1 package softened cream cheese, and 1 cup powdered sugar for an extra special treat.
However, if you have these fritters plain they will still be 100% delicious.
Plain or with a dip these fritters are a wonderful way to get your taste of paradise right at home. And, trust me: they are absolutely worth the effort of deep frying since you end up with a treat like no other.
Try this fun summer treat anytime of year for a classic flavor combination that will have you reaching for seconds (or maybe even thirds!).
Pineapple Coconut Fritters
Makes 10 fritters
2h 15m prep time
20m cook time
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 20-oz can sliced pineapple (rings)
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Sift flour, powdered sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center and to this add olive oil and egg. Add milk a little at a time. Mix well and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- When batter has rested enough heat oil to 350˚F. Drain pineapple and pat slices with paper towels to dry. Spread coconut onto a plate. Using a fork dip each pineapple ring first in the batter and then in the coconut.
- Fry rings until they are golden brown on the outside (about 2 minutes per side). Flip and fry the other side. Drain on paper towels and serve warm or room temperature. Optional: serve with whipped cream or fruit dip to dunk the fritters in.
Recipe adapted from Baking Like a Chef.