We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: macaroni and cheese is definitely one of our favorite meals and never ceases to make us feel good. While we thought we’d tried just about every iteration of our time-tested fave, for some reason it had never occurred to us until recently to divvy up a round of mac and cheese into some muffin pans for some easy-peasy, on-the-go macaroni bites that are perfect at any time of day! Now we can throw one in a plastic bag and then microwave it at work, or send one or two off in our kids’ lunches…they taste great and everyone’s happy – that’s more than enough for us!
Mac N Cheese Cups
Yield: 1-3 dozen, depending on size of muffin tin(s)
- 8 oz. uncooked macaroni pasta
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Panko or seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, as needed
- tomatoes, sliced, garnish
- Preheat oven to 400º F, bring a large pot of salted water to boil and lightly grease your muffin tin(s) with butter or non-stick spray.
- Cook pasta according to packaging directions, or until just al dente, then drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter, then whisk in flour and stir until mixture is smooth and paste-like.
- Cook roux for 1-2 minutes (to cook out the flour flavor), then slowly whisk in the milk.
- Stir mixture until smooth, then add in cheddar, mozzarella and nutmeg, and mix until completely melted and combined.
- Pour drained pasta into the cheese sauce and mix until evenly coated.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a large spoon, fill muffin tin molds to the top with macaroni.
- Melt remaining butter and, in a small bowl, whisk in breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese.
- If using tomatoes, place one slice on each macaroni cup, then evenly sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over the top.
- Place muffin tins in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tomatoes are roasted and breadcrumb topping is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately or at room temperature.
Recipe adapted fromFood And WineSKM: below-content placeholder