Coleslaw is one of those yummy side dishes that seems healthy and refreshing because it’s comprised of a mix of fresh veggies. Unfortunately, most coleslaws are packed with fats and sugars and can really derail your meal plan, even when you’re trying to be conscientious. This recipe gives you the same coleslaw flavor, but cuts corners to make it a much healthier choice! Fat-free mayonnaise, low-fat yogurt and very little sugar — now you can have as much as you want without worrying!
- 3 1/2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup low-fat, plain, Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine vegetables in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix mayonnaise and yogurt together, then add in Dijon mustard.
- Stir in cider vinegar, sugar and celery seeds. Taste and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Pour dressing over vegetables and toss to coat everything.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Recipe adapted from Honest Cooking