Cheesy sausage and potato soup makes your meal come together
It’s easy to occasionally get into a cooking rut where we all need new inspiration. Which is why we love this soup so much! We thought you might enjoy this delicious dish with layers of flavor that is also quick and easy on time. Now, we understand that soup isn’t always the obvious choice for a main meal, but this one easily stands on its own. We immediately fell in love with it when we first tasted it, so we just had to share our reasons for why we think it’s so great!
This irresistible, hot pot of soup is sure to be a comfort to you and your family after a full day – it’s not only ridiculously good, but ready when you are with little-to-no fuss. Savory kielbasa really turns up the flavor factor, especially since we sautéed the sausage first until it got nice and crispy, adding flavorful onions and celery to the mix. Velveeta is the perfect cheese to really thicken things up, surrounding the meat and potatoes with smooth creamy taste. It’s hearty ingredients like these that stick to your ribs and deliver an amazing taste that makes everyone around the table extra happy.
Another great thing about this dish is that you really are getting sausage and potatoes in almost every bite, then suddenly, the flavor deepens even more after you add – wait for it…a touch of beer. Yep, trust us, this little secret ingredient is optional, but it really enhances the overall dish and takes it over the top. We think this substantial soup is a hit that will leave you and your loved ones with happy taste buds and satisfied stomachs!
Cheesy Kielbasa Cheese Soup
Serves 8; 40 minutes
- 24 oz. velveeta, cubed
- 1 pound kielbasa, sliced into rounds
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3/4 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium-high heat and sauté kielbasa, onion and celery.
- Season with salt and pepper, paprika and garlic powder, and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until veggies are softened and kielbasa is browned.
- Add potatoes and pour in chicken broth, then bring mixture to a boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then reduce heat and let simmer for another 10, or until potatoes are cooked.
- Optional: lightly mash potatoes with a masher.
- Stir in half-and-half, velveeta cheese and beer, then season again as needed.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and smooth and potatoes are cooked.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Aunt Bee's Recipes