This little loaf cake is so tender and sweet that you’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven. The tartness of the lemon is noticeable but not overpowering because the honey helps mellow it so perfectly. It’s decadent without being too heavy and it’s one of those quick desserts you can serve any time of year. We just love it!
We’ve used prepared lemon curd to save some time, but you can certainly make your own. You can even make lemon curd with honey to add some extra honey flavor to the mix! We like to serve this cake with a little extra lemon curd and honey drizzled over the top. If you can get your hands on some good creamed honey, it’s the perfect accessory to spread on this lovely loaf cake.
For a cake that mixes up so quickly and easily, we have to say, it sure does have an awful lot of flavor. It’s a basic cake at heart. You start by creaming together the butter and sugar, before adding the eggs, and then the dry ingredients. But it’s the lemon and honey flavor that make it so special. The zest adds some brightness while the curd has a more mellow lemon flavor and the honey makes the whole thing well-rounded and totally irresistible. We can’t wait for you to try it!
Lemon Curd Cake
Serves 6-8; 1 hour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
- 2 tablespoons honey, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium until light and fluffy. Add lemon zest, eggs, and honey, and mix until combined.
- Gradually add flour and baking powder, mixing on low until well incorporated. Gently fold in lemon curd. (It’s okay if curd is not completely blended in.)
- Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan and baked until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve with honey drizzled over the top, if desired. Enjoy!