Yield: approx. 1 cup
- 3/4 cup canola oil (or 1/2 cup canola with 1/4 olive oil)
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 3 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, optional
Note: if you’re worried about Salmonella, make sure to use fresh or pasteurized eggs.
- In a blender or food processor, pulse egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard, sea salt and pepper together until well-combined and frothy.
- While continuing to blend, very slowly drizzle in canola (and olive) oil and pulse until mixture emulsifies and is smooth and thick.
Note: if you don’t have a blender or food processor, you can prepare mayonnaise in a large bowl, just make sure you whisk vigorously and continuously, so oils are incorporated properly.
- Transfer mayonnaise to an air-tight container and store, refrigerated, for up to 1 week.
Recipe adapted from The New York Times