If you’ve looked at any of our other recipes, you probably know that we are certified choco-holics. We’ll devour anything chocolatey, but that doesn’t mean we don’t also have a deep affinity for all things citrus as well. All things lemon and lime are our jam, so these “lemonies” are right up our alley. Picture a dense and rich, chewy bar that’s not a brownie, but that’s brownie-like; these lemonies are the bright and zesty equivalent to a dark and moody, fudgy brownie – the perfect counterbalance, if you will.
You may not have thought you could get a non-chocolatey dessert to be fudgy, but the richness of these squares achieves just that, a delicious fudginess. Plus, the glaze on top is both literally and figuratively the icing on the cake, offering up even more lemon flavor and the perfect glossiness to make these bars even tastier and cuter. We make them all the time during the spring and summer, plus, anytime we need a little, sunshine-y pick-me-up in the middle of the cold months, these do just the trick. Trust us, we can’t get enough of these, and you won’t be able to either!
40 minutes to prepare serves 12-16
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line a 9x9-inch baking dish with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, baking powder and salt until combined.
- Once combined, mix in melted butter, 1/4 cup lemon juice, eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, stirring until just incorporated.
- Pour batter into lined baking dish and place in oven. Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- While cooling, whisk together powdered sugar and remaining lemon juice, zest and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour glaze over cooled lemonies and top with lemon zest. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from I Sing In The Kitchen